Sunday, April 13, 2014

Value Proposition Quilt Along (QAL) - The Path

If you are considering sewing along in my next QAL, Value Proposition, you will want to start thinking about the layout. You don't have to do anything at this point other than think!

The inspiration for the quilt is an antique quilt made up of hexagon flowers (or rosettes if you prefer) and each of the flowers was surrounded by the background fabric. This meant each flower was exactly the same size so when stitched together it was the same as no path at all.  In the picture below the hexagon flowers on the left are of an identical size. When stitched together you can see what happens...a slope develops. The flowers on the right have a single path in between and when sewn together the rows and columns are straight. In order for a path to do what it is intended to do it must be made up of an odd number.


The flowers in Value Proposition will have a path.  It will be up to you to decide whether you want a single path or a triple path. I chose to use a triple path for two reasons: I felt that it showcased the blocks and I used the center of thee triple path as an additional design element that is not part of the original quilt. If a triple path seems like a lot of work or does not appeal to you then a single path can be used but it will result in a smaller quilt.
Single path

Triple path

You will need many hexagons for whichever path you choose. I baste mine as I go along. Every time I have a few moments I basted a few and then put them into a bag. If I'm sewing hexagons together and I have a little thread left over I use it to baste another hexagon.  If I don't feel like basting I stitch the path hexagons into pairs so that they are ready to sew together into larger elements. I used two fabrics for my path and it created a lovely and interesting accent. I'll write more about what I did, the colours I chose and why I chose them in the next few days. I will also provide information on fabric requirements for the path For now all you need to do is consider which layout holds greater appeal. If you prefer to postpone the decision that will be fine. You can wait until you have a few blocks under your belt!

The snow is finally gone and the Spring flowers are starting to come up. We have oodles of snowdrops which have naturalized. I love these little Himalayan flowers!


The crocuses are popping up all over the place! They are such jolly little flowers.


The colours of the snowdrops and crocuses are reflected in this Godstone Grannies (GG) diamond hexagon block which is cut out but not yet basted!  The taupe fabric is a scrap that I rescued from the freebie table at my Guild's meeting earlier this week. It fits perfectly with the colour scheme of my GG quilt!


Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Karen, I feel so excited after reading your intro to the layout of the next QAL. As I have not done a triple path yet, I think this will be my choice. Can't wait for the next tantalizing edition to come out. You are so sweet putting in all this work for us to follow along. I sure appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving all these tips and your interesting work for the coming QAL!
    I appreciate too

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is similiar to what I thought I would do for my civil war hexies-but I would like to use more colors-perhaps I'll make each flower different-anxious to see more-thanks Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also never done a triple path so I might use that in an upcoming project. I'll share the fabrics in tomorrow's report form the quilt show I went to. Looking forward to hearing more about your HAL/QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you already have 7 hexie diamonds for your GG! All gorgeous. Love the flowers and the idea for Value proposition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to figure out if you ever sleep. Thanks for another amazing tutorial. You certainly make things easy to understand. Love....love....love the gold, in your GG block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm a hexie quilt along. I've been thinking if starting yet another hexie project

    ReplyDelete