Monday, May 12, 2014

Back to Piccadilly

I'm back at Piccadilly to the Nines and would like to get the quilting done so I can move on to my next project! 

I've been struggling with how to quilt the hourglass blocks (I seem to do a lot of struggling) and decided to just go with more feathers! I wasn't sure what thread to use, my green variegated Fantastico or Monopoly (invisible thread) or So Fine! in an neutral colour. I knew what the last two would look like on the light colour fabric but wasn't sure about the green Fantastico. Pulling some thread off the spool and laying it on the quilt to see how it will look just doesn't work for me. So I threaded my machine with the green Fantastico and did some free motion quilting on my quilt making sure that the stitches were big. I decided I didn't like the green on the light fabric because wobbles would really show up! The test stitches are large so they will be easy to remove. 


I do like the green Fantastico on green fabric because I think it shows it off to its best advantage so I used it in the four green rectangles that surround the center churn dash block.


So Fine! really gives me the look and feel I want on the quilt so that is what I am using to quilt feathers in the hourglass blocks. I lightly drew a spine and quilted it. Once I had gone all around the quilt I quilted the plumes on the right side of the spine.


When the plumes on the right side were done I started quilting the feathers on the left side of the spine.


The feathers fill the little blocks quite nicely!


It is a short post today because I've got some quilting to do now that I've decided what to do! I'll leave you with a picture of a hexagon from my quilt Ausiegons. I really like to use stripes because of the effects that can be created. In this block the stripes radiate out from the center hexagon.


I've also got to prepare the pattern for Block 3 of my Value Proposition QAL. I'll publish it early Friday morning! It's a good one!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Karen. I like that you walk us through how you decide to quilt it - that's a big frustration for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your Piccadilly quilt. It is gorgeous. I love seeing how you tackle planning the quilting designs. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is coming along beautifully. I love your idea of test quilting with larger stitches so it's easy to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As promised, admiring your beautiful work - lots of heirlooms here!
    Hugs - Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As promised, admiring your beautiful work - lots of heirlooms here!
    Hugs - Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the green Fantastico on green fabric

    That is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. My DH was passing by the computer when I was looking at your quilt. You definitely got his attention with this one.....he loves it and so do I!!

    ReplyDelete