Wednesday, August 6, 2014

81 - the final stretch and a Quilt Show

The work on my hexagon quilt 81 continues and the end is in sight. The inner striped border with baskets of flowers is completely quilted now so it is on to the last bit in the light grey outer border. This corner is completely quilted. There's still quite a bit of border to go but good news is that the amount of quilting to be done is less than what I've already done so that's something!


When I get going with my doodle (or free form) quilting that fills the background it sometimes feels like I'm repeating the same motif over and over again. I have a limited repertoire so it feels like I just quilted a design even if I didn't. To help choose what to do next I keep a sketch with designs by my machine to give me inspiration and ideas. Each time I come up with something a little different I'll add it to the diagram. When quilting if I am stuck I look to my diagram for inspiration. Combining motifs is a great way to great variations. For example a large teardrop can be changed if it is outlined with circles or feathers. To make a design really pop I echo quilt around it two or three times!


For those of you who live in the Toronto area or will be visiting the area in mid-September I will be showing my quilt 81 at the Yorkshire Rose Quilt Show on September 20 &21, 2014. There will be some amazing quilts on display. For those of you who can't make it I will take pictures and we'll have a virtual quilt show!


Friday morning I'll publish Block 9 in my Value Proposition Quilt Along. We are going to do something a little different this time. I hope you'll like it!

Time for me to get back to quilting! Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

16 comments:

  1. Gosh Karen there is so much quilting in 81. It looks absolutely STUNNING! You are getting it done remarkably quickly considering the density of the quilting. What a beautiful heirloom you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!!!! Such a really beautiful quilting! WOW! Can't stopp looking at it.
    Greetings, Rike

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful Karen - love the design, fabric and quilting. Woot woot! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your work is breathtaking. inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I enjoyed the last Yorkshire Rose show. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!! Fantastic work. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! did you used a longarm quilt machine?
    I love your work it's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just awesome Karen! I want to try that in my next appliqué quilt- I have a large one that has been in the works for a few years ( yikes did I really just admit that?) and this is the type of quilting I had in mind. I'm looking forward to block nine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what an awesome job. I do hope to be able to get there to see your quilt and to meet you. Got to plan to get a ride. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to have a doodle sheet by your side. I've watched this quilt grow and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting is absolutely amazing! The butterflies practically fly off the top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is just gorgeous!! I love the whimsy of all the butterflies. Beautiful! Love reading your posts, and your methods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Seriously! I love a good free form doodled background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Extra.....Extra....Extraordinary!!!! I love the way you've done the straight stitch around the edge. It's the perfect highlight.

    ReplyDelete