Friday, August 22, 2014

Value Proposition - Block 10

I'm back from my blogcation and will kick off my return with Block 10 of my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along (QAL). I had a great two week hiatus and am raring to go and hope you are too! This time I've got a simple hexagon block that will focus on primarily on light value with one dark added for punch. I really like this simple block!


Value Proposition Map for Block 10


Value Proposition Recipe for Block 10
  • Cut 12 Light* identified as A on Map (6 for Round 1 and 6 for Round 2)
  • Cut 18 Light** which are a little darker identified as B on Map (Round 3)
  • Cut 7 Dark identified as C on Map (1 for Centre and 6 for Round 2)
* I used two different Light fabrics but you could use a single fabric if you prefer
** I cut six from the same fabric and the remaining 12 were cut from scraps

My Value Proposition Block
This is my block shown in black and white. The Lights for Round 1 and 2 are just off white. I used two different fabrics however both are the same value. You could do the same or you could use two different fabrics of the same value. I would strongly recommend that if you chose to use two fabrics that in addition to being the same value they should also be the same colour.


This is my block in colour and you can better see some of the decisions I made. I chose to use a pale yellow fabric at the tips of the spokes in Round 3 The remaining fabrics in Round 3 are a similar value but I chose to go with a variety of taupes so the yellow could shine.


I set up a Value Proposition QAL page on Flickr so that you can post pictures of your blocks and also see what others are doing! There are many very different and exciting blocks to see and there are also some pictures showing a bunch of blocks arranged together and that is very exciting to see! 

If you are looking for previous Block installments of my Value Proposition Hexagon QAL you will find all of the links under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H just under the banner. Have fun making Block 10. I think it is time for another side setting block so I'll post the pattern for the Side Setting Block 2 on Friday, August 30, 2014. Block 11 will be available on September 5, 2014.

I hope you are having fun with my QAL! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email. I send an email response to every comment so if you don't hear from me it means you are a no-reply blogger and I have no way of contacting you (unless you leave me your email address).

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back Karen! I really like this block. I will say that so far I think block 9 is my favorite. Can't wait to go through my stash for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'll be fun to play with - I don't have many lights so I'll have to be clever. I'm trying to catch up after being on holiday - currently on block 8. Can't work out how to change my settings so: twixthemaddog(AT)gmail.com to foil web bots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Karen! I missed seeing all your beautiful work over the past two weeks. Glad to see you back - and what a lovely block you have for us this week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a coming! I'm putting #3 together. ;)
    This block is really cool-I think I know what colors I'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you had a nice time away! This is a lovely block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, lovely! I'll have fun putting this together. You know, eventually. I've fallen behind again. But I'm still here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I really love the fabrics in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beauty for sure Karen. Glad you had some time of but I am sure your hands didn't stop while on your blog cation LOL. I have been busy got all background cut out and almost all made just another 40 or so then the path for around each will get done little by little. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still caught up as we pass the halfway mark -- yea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoyed your time off. I'm still loving this quilt and your tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete