Friday, August 8, 2014

Value Proposition - Block 9

Welcome to Block 9 of my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along (QAL). This block installment is something different and special - we will use applique to add interest to four of the hexagons! 


Value Proposition Map for Block 9





Value Proposition Recipe for Block 9
  • Cut 4 Light identified as S* on Map (1 for Centre and 3 for Round 2)
  • Cut 15 Light identified as A on Map (3 for Round 2 and 12 for Round 3)
  • Cut 12 Medium identified as B on Map (6 for Round 1 and 6 for Round 3)
  • Cut 6 Medium-Dark** identified as C on Map (for Round 2)
* These 4 hexagons will have circles appliqued to them. See below for Special Instructions for Applique.

** For my C hexagons I chose to use a medium-dark that was just slightly darker value than the medium fabric I used for the B hexagons. I wanted a subtle value change. If you can do the same or if you prefer you can opt for a more dramatic value change.

My Value Proposition Block
This is my block shown in black and white. Notice that four of the hexagons have circles made from two fabrics appliqued in place.





In the colour picture below you can see that once again I used a variety of Light scraps for A. I used a single Medium fabric for Round 1 (B) and a different Medium fabric for Round 3 (notice it is a very subtle directional print so I paid attention when placing the hexagons). The 6 Medium-Darks in Round 2 are two different fabrics that are only slightly darker than the others and I alternated the two fabrics. 



Special Instructions for Applique Circles

You will do the applique work before you cut you and baste your hexagons. 

Select a circular object that is roughly 1" in diameter and use it to make a template. I used cardboard but you could also use heat resistant plastic template material. I wanted my circles to be two-tone so cut two strips of fabric, one medium and one dark and each measured 1 1/4" x 6". I stitched together using a scant 1/4" seam allowance and then pressed the seam allowances open. Place your cardboard template on the wrong side of the strip and trace around it. Cut out the circle leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance. With a needle and thread run a gathering stitch around the edge of the circle. Place the cardboard template in the middle and draw up the thread. 

Spritz with starch and press with a hot dry iron. Loosen the gathering stitch so you can remove the cardboard template. Draw up the gathering thread and tie it off. I did a demonstration  of this technique with pictures and you will find it here. If you have another method that you would rather use by all means do so! I'm a firm believer in doing what works for you!

Place the prepared circle on the fabric that you will use for the hexagon and applique it in place either by hand or by machine. Place your paper hexagon on the wrong side of the fabric making sure that the applique is centered and cut out the hexagon adding your seam allowance. Baste the hexagon to the paper in the usual English paper piecing manner. Repeat with the three remaining circles.



I set up a Value Proposition QAL page on Flickr so that you can post pictures of your blocks and also see what others are doing! There are many very different and exciting blocks to see so do drop by and if you have time leave a comment if you see something you like!

If you are looking for previous Block installments of my Value Proposition Hexagon QAL you will find all of the links under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H just under the banner. Have fun making Block 9. Block 10 will be available on August 22, 2014.

I hope you are enjoying this QAL! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email. I send an email response to every comment so if you don't hear from me it means you are a no-reply blogger and I have no way of contacting you.

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

5 comments:

  1. What fun this will be thanks for the challenge.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I'm on the hunt for just the right fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is awesome! Can't wait to get to it. One question-why are they asymmetrically placed?

    I am so pissed with myself! My copier didn't do the hexes for Block 1 at 100%, so my hexes are 7/8" per side. So, I'm going to do it over. Not now, somewhere down the line. I'm not quitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this technique and I love the look of the circles. They add a nice touch to the design.

    ReplyDelete