Friday, October 17, 2014

Value Proposition QAL - Block 14

Where have the past two weeks gone? Time flies by far too quickly! It's time for Block 14 in my Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along (QAL). I had told you we are going to make fabric for this one and that's exactly what we will do! This technique for "made" fabric will be used in another block. It is a great way to give your blocks a very different look and you will be surprised at how easy it is to do! I know there are some very creative readers out there so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!


Value Proposition Map for Block 14


Value Proposition Recipe for Block 14

  • Cut 7 Light* identified as A on Map (1 for Centre and six for Round 2)
  • Cut 6 Light/Dark "Made" Fabrics** identified as B on Map (for Round 1)
  • Cut 12 Medium identified as C on Map (6 for Round 3)
  • Cut 12 Medium-Dark identified as D on Map ( 6 for Round 2 and 6 for Round 3)
* If you want to add some extra pizzazz two of the A hexagons identified as A* on the Map can be "made" fabric. Scroll down for the instructions for "made fabric"

** See below for the instructions for "made" fabric

My Value Proposition Block 14

This is a black and white picture of my block. Notice that I made my own fabric for the spokes in round 1. I made a second strip of fabric and added two "made" fabrics in Round 2 on the sides. These two are optional. You could just use a light fabric in place of the made fabric.



Instructions for "Made" Fabric
Select two fabrics, one of which is Light and the other medium or dark. My darker fabric is a directional print; it adds some interest and complexity. From the darker fabric cut one strip that is 1 1/4" wide by 15 1/2" long. From the lighter fabric cut 2 strips that are the same length and width. Shorten the stitch length and sew a light strip to either side of the dark strip. This is important because you will be cutting your "made" fabric and you don't want the stitches to come undone!



Press the seam allowances open. A spritz of starch and a press with a hot dry iron will kept them nice and flat. That's it - "made" fabric. Now on to making the hexagons! Cut six 2 1/2" patches. I applied a tiny dab of glue stick to my hexagon paper. I placed the paper on the wrong side of the "made" fabric making sure the dark stripe was reasonably centered in the hexagon. 


Trim the excess fabric at the corners. I like to leave a generous seam allowance of roughly 3/8" all around. 

There you have it - "made" fabric! Continue in the usual method of English paper piecing to complete Round 1.

I set up a Value Proposition QAL page on Flickr so that you can post pictures of your blocks and also see what others are doing! There are many very different and exciting blocks to see and there are also some pictures showing a bunch of blocks arranged together and that is very exciting to see! 
If you are looking for previous Block installments of my Value Proposition Hexagon QAL you will find all of the links under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H just under the banner. Have fun making Block 14. Block 15 will be available on October 31, 2014. 

I hope you are enjoying my QAL! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email. I send an email response to every comment so if you don't hear from me it means you are a no-reply blogger and I have no way of contacting you (unless you leave me your email address).

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen this looks like fun.. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, Karen! At the moment, I 'm working at all my WIP's, so I do not really have the time, to sew hexies unfortunately.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hugs Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I can't wait to make the fabric! Fabulous idea and it looks great in the block. I love it. Thank you Karen! Have a great weekend sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I think this is a great place for some striped fabric that otherwise wasn't going to work for this quilt … so many ideas.

    I'm still working along, just very slowly. I have an old shoulder injury that doesn't like me doing handwork. Just wanted you to know I'm still really enjoying this, even if I'm not producing. I appreciate you doing so much work for us! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to make one's own fabric!!!!! Thanks for sharing your tips
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and directions and another great block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be fun to try! Nice looking block:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez -- I'm officially behind -- haven't picked fabrics for #13 and here is #14 -- I like the "made" fabric idea!

    ReplyDelete