Sunday, November 9, 2014

Crosses in the Garden and a peach of a block

Good morning peoples! I've got a new computer, well new to me at least. Yesterday a good part of the day was spent transferring files and then I discovered that not all of my files had been backed up. Added to this is the fact that I have to install software for my camera but it is no longer available online and my new computer does not have a CD player (or as I like to call it a coffee cup holder). So today I'm going to have to figure out how to install camera software. Aggrannoying (aggravating AND annoying) to say the least. ARGHHHH!!!!!

Fortunately before I switched computers I took pictures of my Gardens of a King blocks so I've got another two blocks to share with you. I'm not entirely happy with either cross block but they are going in the quilt as they are and once they are reverse appliqued they will look more pleasing to my eye I'm sure. One thing I do know for certain is that once they are in the quilt with all of the other blocks any doubts I may have will disappear! However if they don't then I'll remake the blocks until I'm happy with them!



Missie published more sneak peeks of her quilt. You can see them here and the BIG REVEAL is now posted here. Her interpretation of the King George III coverlet was made with the permission of the Victoria & Albert Museum. The finished size of the quilt is 63" square. I think it would make a fabulous wall hanging. Her pattern will be available shortly. 

This is my second of twelve applique blocks for the border. I still have one peach floating in space so it needs a stem which I will embroider. I like to personalize my quilts and add my own details so I'm thinking I might squeeze the odd insect in with the various fruits and flowers! 


I've got the centre medallion started and will share pictures in the next day or two (assuming I can get my camera software installed)!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

14 comments:

  1. This is looking wonderful. I love your choice of cotton appliqué and your little insects sound like a perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your applique-I know what ya mean about transfrerring photos, when I got my new computer my camera that still worked great could not be used on the new computer-no software upgrades available-so I had to buy new one-didn't like that at all-good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is looking amazing, Karen! It's a very tempting pattern.

    Check to see if your new computer has a slot for the memory card from your camera. If so, you don't need to install the camera software -- just take the card out of your camera, put it in the slot, and use Windows Explorer to transfer the files. I use Corel's photo software to edit my photos, which is inexpensive and easy to download. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Aggranoying" is a super word and pertains well to describing things computer!!!! I'm sorry you were having trouble yesterday! Your blocks are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing your medallion and then the whole quilt top. I've seen Missy's top and I'm also tempted to start this pattern. So sorry about your computer difficulties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, technology! Shows the importance of backing up. I'm thinking of storing in a cloud because if I buy a new computer again, they'll have changed a lot by then. Love the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your blocks are gorgeous. I just do the simplest of applique. But your work makes me want to be more patient with myself and learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous peachy block that especially, computers are a mystery at times aren't they lol
    I use a card reader gadget to take pics off the memory card in my camera and transfer the pics to my laptop. Assuming you have a memory card in your camera, give that a try
    abit like this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-IN-1-MULTI-MEMORY-CARD-USB-READER-SD-SDHC-MINI-MICRO-M2-MMC-XD-CF-/300759009714?pt=UK_Photography_MemoryCardReaders_RL&hash=item4606a249b2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soldier on Karen!! I hate the learning curve than comes with a new computer but it's always worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I especially love your peaches! Once again, your eye for the perfect fabrics is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely blocks Karen. Love the peaches fabric combination

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen -- have you seen this English dealer's website -- some exquisite hexagon quilts!! http://www.antiquetextilescompany.co.uk/site/quilts.html

    ReplyDelete