Friday, January 2, 2015

My first hexagon in The New Hexagon Millefiori Quilt Along

I've picked my fabric for the centre hexagon in the January rosette in Katja Marek's The New Hexagon Millefiori Quilt Along. The toughest part is picking the fabric. I chose this print is called Kensington by Quilting Treasures.


I originally bought this fabric because I thought it would be perfect for fussy cutting. I love the rich coral colour. I made myself a little window template and moved it around until I was happy with what I was seeing. These are the patches I cut out; they are ready to be basted and stitched together.


I tacked the paper templates to the back of the fabric with a tiny dab of water soluble glue and then I used my Dritz Petite Press to turn under all the edges to give a nice sharp fold for stitching. I thread basted only the two outer edges on each template. This is the finished block! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! It is a fairly large hexagon - each side measures 3" so the pieces are large and easy to work with.


The next round is six hexagons and I'll need to pull 3 fabrics for each hexagon. That will take some time but once I decide they blocks should go together quickly!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this QAL. I ordered the book, read your tutorials, but not sure what type papers you use. Not sure what 67 weight paper is in the US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda - you are a no reply blogger so I couldn't email you. I hadn't mentioned the weight of paper so I am assuming that you read it in Katja's book or in her instructions. I think she talked about using cardstock which is a paper that is a little heavier than regular printer paper. It's very much like the return mail cards you find in magazines. I generally just use regular printer paper and it works for me just fine!

      Delete
  2. Oh that's beautiful. Love, love that coral fabric, Karen. Where did you find it? Do they have an online store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabric choice Karen - it makes a gorgeous center!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone said they look very good. I don't have my book yet, but what size of Hexie are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that coral fabric! Fussy cutting and picking the fabric certainly does take much longer than the actual stitching! It feels like I spent hours fussy cutting for 2 different projects yesterday but it sure was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great start can't wait to see the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect cutting and a beautiful shade of coral, but as could only be expected from you lol
    Katje has started a facebook group page, are you on FB? It might be worth joining if only to see what is being posted by members, some stunning choices so far - and to befriend me too of course ! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's absolutely fabulous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it looks wonderful what size does this hexagon finish at. I know it's part of but this first stet looks pretty big. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I just re read your paragraph and found out the answer to my question. Not enough canine and have a head cold.
      Hugs Bunny

      Delete
  10. Love the fabric that you chose for this first one. Red is a power color and this hexie is pretty and powerful. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

    ReplyDelete