Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A mess and the culprit!

Cute? Perhaps but then again perhaps not!


I had arranged the pieces of Birds in the Loft on the floor and then went to get the camera. When I came back this is what I saw!


When questioned Jinx about the Picasso-like rearrangement of my quilt pieces he just turned his head and made out like he had not idea what I was talking about! Clearly he isn't in the least bit sorry! He is a really nice little guy but I have to say I love him best when he is sleeping!


The pieces have been constructed for the centre medallion so they are ready to be stitched together. This is my diagram of the medallion for Birds in the Loft. Picture taking of my quilt doesn't appear to be an option today because Jinx is right in the thick of things!


Once stitched together the medallion will be pretty close to being done. While stitching it I'm also working on the hexagon rosettes.

This pair of rosettes are made from a striped fabric but I oriented the stripes in different directions to give the blocks a different look. I started by cutting a 2 1/2" strip across the width of the fabric. I placed the hexagon paper so that the stripe ran from point to point and cut six pieces to make the first rosette. For the second rosette I placed the paper so that the stripes ran from straight edge to straight edge making sure to centre three orange stripes on each hexagon.


I love the fabrics I used in this rosette. The gold fabric is an old fabric that I've had in my stash for years and I use it sparingly. The turquoise is a more recent addition. I think that the two together are a lovely combination!


Lia of Lia's Handmades has just launched her sixth Secret Tote Bag Swap. The theme of this one is black & white plus one colour. Sign up is open until February 27th. You will make a bag in black and white plus one colour? What will that colour be - the person who is assigned to you will give you three colours from which you will choose one. You can use multiple shades of the colour. You'll have no idea who got your name and your partner will have no idea who got her name until the bag is delivered. Most swappers include some lovely treats in the bad so it is a lovely surprise to get the bag in the mail. This sounds like a really fun swap. I've participated before and have been so happy with every tote bag I've received and I hope that my partners were equally happy with theirs. If you are interested in participating you'll find all of the information here.

That's it for today! I've got loads of hexagon rosettes to make so until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

19 comments:

  1. lol he looks like a little trouble maker-my Miss Calico has this thing now-Not to stay out of my craft room, or the wool I am carding either lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you will see your traffic spike with this post? I know I am always ready to read about bad cat behaviour, lol. You have photographed him beautifully. I hope he lets you get back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny. Your work is amazing, this is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jinx does seem to have a thing for your sewing. Negative attention is still attention - he sure does seem to have quite a mischievous personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cat's gotta do what a cat's gotta do! We have three. Clyde, especially, is not allowed anywhere near my quilts or in my quilting room for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dog never rearranges my quilting projects.... just sleeps on them. LOL. I love the photo of the two flowers with the same fabric sewed on differently. Isn't it amazing what a different appearance each has.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jinxy says "But Momma - you left it on the floor...what did you think I would do??"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my I think someone got caught being naughty! They are so smart or at least they think they are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol---like you see in my today-post I had to fight with the same cat-problems.
    Lovely flowers and layout. I love your fabric choice.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love to read your post. I love cats and there arrogance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That re-arrangement of your quilt looks very familiar. My kitty isn't even in the room when I lay the pieces all out. Does she hear the fabric or me looking for the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My cat can be a jerk too but oh how I love him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cat and birds together is asking for problems, haha. Groet, Dientje.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess your photo session was Jinxed! He is a pretty cat! I am sure you can't be mad with that face for long. My cats do the same to me. Love mussing up my fabric if I put it on the floor! The medallion is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So love all your fabrics that you fussy cut.....perfect as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too funny! I think he knows exactly what he did. It is lovely anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is so handsome! They do have a way of getting thru to us don't they LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life would be dull & boring without a little hi jinks now and then!! He is cute & people always say that orange cats are very social animals. I was afraid he had eaten some hexagons---or hidden a strip of them. I am trying to find my basting thread right now. My puppy likes to change where objects live.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You crack me up with the mention of a Picassoized Birds in the loft. It looks wonderful and I'll be anxious to see what you will do next.

    ReplyDelete